Coral's-Deepen the Conspiracy

It was my parents funeral.
Everything was black, white, grey and green.

I winced.
The whole village was present.
Only my grandfather, grandmother, Charmaine and I were the only royal bloodline of Celera who attended the funeral. My uncle Irage, brother to my father, and neither did his family attend. In fact, happily for them, they were going to be receiving the throne of Celera.

It was to be so because of my elder sister, Chayera, unable to receive the throne as it was believed she 'ran away' from royal duties. My grandfather and grandmother gravely believed this. They were too old to think for themselves anymore. Besides, they were often pampered by my Uncle Irage, just to get in their good shoes.

There was more too it though. I gritted my teeth, glaring at the empty chair spots beside me.
I calmed myself and glanced to my left to check on how Charmaine was doing. Charmaine was dead silent. Staring at the ground with a blank look on her face. She was distracting herself, I presumed. The funeral continued. And by lunch, everyone was paying their respect to my father and mother. I glanced at the long line, pleased by how many villagers had come to the funeral in appreciation to what my parents had done to help the country/kingdom.

Charmaine had walked away, to the private garden quarters, strictly only for royalty. I followed her, watching her. We walked. I followed her from behind. Suddenly, she stopped as we reached the cherub fountain. The fountain, around 10 feet high, was majestic in the way the cupid cherub on its peak, gave a glimmer as water flowed through each time it was pumped through the fountains piping. The fountain was made of hard stone and was believed to have a wedding gift from my father to mother on their wedding night.
I sighed. Watching it was wonderful.

Then, I looked at Charmaine. Her face was not calm. Her face... grave...
She was holding up a letter towards me and said, "Look who sent us a letter. I just got in from the page(messenger)."

I stared at the message. It was from Chayera. A condolence letter? 'I was pleased to leave your stupid family,' it even wrote.

However, my expression was absolutely calm. I wasn't the type to ever panic or be tempered easily. I knew. This was not Chayera who was writing this letter. but I hated to think of who actually did.

My expression never changed as I re-read every word of the letter.

"I HATE HER," snarled Charmaine.

I glanced up at her, surprised. Charmaine never... ever... said she hated her family.

"SHE IS THE CAUSE OF EVERYTHING! SHE'S THE DAMN RUIN OF OUR FAMILY!"

From then on, I realized, what was in store in the future was not going to be as easy as thought.
Charmaine... truly hated... Chayera...

Comments

Popular Posts