Charmaine's -the start

It had to be a dream! It just had to be!

I couldn’t afford it to be real. I looked down at my quivering hands. I was hesitating. Clearly this just wasn’t me thinking straight. I couldn’t have done what I thought I did. I glanced around the room I was in. The wall was a carved ebony black wood formatted in a perfect square. I shook my head. ‘No. This is impossible,’ I tried to reassure myself. I couldn’t have been in this room. No way. I quickly got up from the dusty old bed I was resting on to pace myself to the other end of the room and closer to where the misty covered window was located.
I raised my hand; enabling my palm to feel the cool breath blowing against the sheer thin sheet of glass window that seperated me from the outside world. I closed my eyelids, absorbing the silence and cold feeling pressing against my palms.

There was something seriously wrong with me. I knew it was true. My memories were not fooling me. I was never wrong.
'How the hell did I get here?!' I screamed as I remained searching through my thoughts. I couldn't be in this room. Please... not again.

The desire to storm out in rage was an option but I knew that would fail. I had been in this room... many, many times before... in my dreams. It never got any easier for me. My mind had definitely blocked out the memory but my body, could feel every falter and shiver in my bones as I spent my time-or mind, in this isolated dark room. So far away from civilisation... and my family.

Suddenly, a tiny light appeared in front of me. 'In my mind?' I thought in confusion.
I gradually opened my eyelids. The light was still there; like a little candle lighting the darkness. The only source of warmth emmited in the surroundings.

However, the light...was beyond the window. What could it have been? I tried pushing the window open but to no avail. It was firmly shut tight. I was stuck in the room.

Then, there was a gentle voice calling me.

"Charmaine. Charmaine... little Charmaine... Maine, dear," it echoed.

My body suddenly felt out of place.
And I gently closed my eye lids once again; listening to the soothing voice as it pulled me closer.

My mind felt light... and then.... the tension in my body dissapeared.

Instantly, my eyes fluttered open.
There I was, back in my own bed, in the royal palace. My mum's wide eyes peered down at me. Her oceanblue eyes-shimmering. She had an anxious look on her face that didn't suit her well structured ovular and thin pink lips (=P).

"Mum, whats wrong?" I asked.

She turned her head, muttering something under her breath. Obviously not for me to hear.
Then, she touched my forehead. I twitched; feeling her cold right hand against my warm and heated forehead.

Only then, I noticed, there were tears in her eyes. It was something I hadn't expected. My mum, my ridiculously strict, difficult and never faltering mum- crying? 'What for?' I wondered. Hoping for some kind of voice in my head to answer. Nothing came.

"Mum," I asked again with a much more firmer tone in my voice. I was glaring at her.

She returned her glance to me. She laughed.
She leaned forward to peck a kiss on my cheek.
"Hush.... my little one. Just close your eyes and get back to sleep. I might not be able to see you in the morning if you don't," she whispered into my ear.

She was right. I did, usually have trouble getting up in the morning if I didn't get enough sleep. My pale purple drapes(curtains) around my peach wallpaper didn't help anything either.

All I could do is to feel my eye lids droop back down as I watched a thin figure, slip away from my conscious mind...

Comments

Popular Posts