Charmaine's-when I changed who I was

I woke up the following morning, at ease.
The nightmare I was having hadn't return to me.

I sat up and glanced around my room. It looked exactly the same as before.
Peach wallpaper, pale purple drapes... etc. (sorry, I ain't really fond of describing. I don't think I am very good at it).
I slid off my silk bedsheet, stretched and made my way across the marble floored room to my closet.

Eventhough I was the third daughter of Celera, I couldn't help begging my parents to give me a small 'ordinary' closet full of the basics of 'girly' clothing. I couldn't help being who I was.

I took a bright pink top, with frilly laces on its side. And wore a short jeans skirt that reached down to my knees. I had my own limits in dressing. NEVER something too short, or I would seriously have killed myself. Haha.

As I sat by my decor table(don't know that table you use when you put up make up and all those stuff), combing my hair with a brush, I couldn't help thinking about my mum's expression the night before. The thought was like an itch in my mind.

I had only seen my mum like that... a year before.... when my eldest sister dissapeared.
I flinched remembering the fact... "Chayera...." I quietly snarled to myself.

However, I could not let my mood prevent today from being a good day. My mother, father, sister(the 2nd sister) and I were going to go visit my grandparent's in the southern part of the country of Celera. It had been a while since we last saw them, which was a gloomy christmas. My eldest sister... was usually the life of the party. But at that time, it was pure... sadness.

I had never felt like that ever before in my life... I suppose... It was something new to learn.

As I made my way down to the ground floor, I made a bowl of healthy cereals for myself, washed up and sat in the living room lounge; on a large beige 3 seater sofa.

I appreciated the serene environment of the room. (I ain't gonna bother describing it) .

I waited... 30 minutes past. Then, I glanced at the clock. Oh... no wonder... I woke up late again... It was already 2pm.
I was dissapointed in myself. I thought I could wake up on time.

Suddenly, there was a loud crash outside, like an impact of a car hitting a tree.
I heard screams.... many screams... there were more people on palace grounds than expected. I rushed towards the door to see what was happening. Then, there was a blast. The door burst open. Strong wind blew me back.

I struggled to keep my balance and fought the wind pressure to the door.
The wind stopped. And I managed to make my way outside.

I stood still at my place. Mother... father... their car... was on fire... by a fallen tree...
Everything went by so quickly. I gasped, running towards the burning car, without looking at my surrounding. The air was filled with smoke, causing me to tear as I ran.

A wicked laughter cackled high on the palace walls. All I wanted to do was to save my parents. Before it was the end. Before... I saw the end. I saw my mother's pale fragile hands flung out from the shattered window glass. It was bleeding... There was a pool of blood...

"No, Char!" I heard a voice call me back. It was from behind me. Definitely, my sister's. She was the only one that called me 'Char' in the family.
She was always the one to stop me... stopping me from doing something irrational.
And in the next moment, something came flying at me from a tree bark that had been laying on the ground. The bark had been blasted.

A piece of wooden shard hit me on the head. And... I blacked out.


------next day-------

The following day, I returned to my senses. I opened my eyelids, hoping it was all a bad dream.

I was back on my bed... but something felt different. My head felt fuzzy and warmer than usual. I reached to touch my forehead. It was bandaged. And it felt warm... blood had been oozing out of it, I realized.

I calmly tried breathing in and out. Eventhough, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop my heart beats. They were rapid. As if they were chasing after something important. Something hard to achieve. Something... impossible.

I carefully steadied myself as I got off the bed. The marble floor felt colder than usual.

I didn't bother changing. I just walked straight towards the living room.

A scented fragrane was it the air. 'Hmmm.... Lavender... Mum's favourite,' I thought to myself. A pang of guilt hit me. Maybe what had happened was a dream? Maybe I was just being too down on myself after looking at my mum's anxious face the night before.

However, as I entered the living room, everything that had happened flashed back into my head.
I fell to the ground, screaming and crying. My knees, weak. The memories... they were too painful. My heart... could not ignore it. "Why did that happen?!" I cried out.

I immediately felt a pair of warm arms wrap around me. Providing warmth. I could barely see past the water flowing down my cheeks. Coral, my sister-the only family I truly had left was embracing me. It was a strong and tight hug. Her eyes were watering too but I could tell she was holding the pain in. Just like how she tried to hold the pain as she cried out my name during the incident.

I knew it was not her fault but I still felt angry. I finally stayed still like a statue under my sister's embrace.

Walking into the living room, and seeing the coffin of my parents all laid out before I even woke up was too much for me.

I was too young to understand...

Comments

Popular Posts