Waterpolo

Today was the first day I attended or have even ever attempted at trying Waterpolo. I didn't know much about it before and just wasn't curious about it enough to see beyond the violent bloody noses, mouths and broken teeth I had heard so much about before. If you had asked me how I imagined waterpolo players, 4 years ago while I was still training at Ikan Bilis or Royal Selangor Golf Club, I would have told you people wearing white confining headgear and pink mouth guards that made me wonder how they even got to catch their breath when playing the game. The only waterpolo I had actually ever witnessed first hand had been a boy's national team training at the Cheras public swimming pool with two floating goals. It had to be one of the most terrifying sports I thought I would ever see. I saw a hard punch to the jaw (accidental of course) but nevertheless, I do believe I might have made the exclamation that I would never try the sport since I know what it involved.

I switched of my alarm without knowing at 5:15am. It might have been because of my late night doing math until 1am. I was working on the Factor Theorem and a question in my math assignments. I also just realized I had lost my Cubic graphs notes. Upsetting.

I only realized it was 7:00am, when Katherine (Murtagh) had knocked on my door and took a peek in saying something along the lines of, "Evelyn. There's Waterpolo this morning."
I literally lurched out going, "Oh? I hadn't realized it was already time. Alright. Go first. I'll come after."
"Alright? I'll go first then."
"Ok."
It didn't take me long to pack everything and get ready but it was then that I became aware of how exhaustion can totally wipe a persons' memory. Incredible. Too incredible.

I slipped in silently and remained so.
The female coach, somewhat familiar to me.
She actually called me a couple of times. I was surprised that she knew who I was but I guess since I probably the only person's face she was unfamiliar with, she linked the two together.

I am once again not the shadow or the ghost I expected myself to be. 

Todays training involved:
1) Me bobbing up and down wondering what in the world was going on
2) 10 x 15m sprints in 30 sec/each sprint
3) Thinking it was tiring doing short stroke bursts, attacking the ball, trying to keep-pass-block-whack the ball, trailing.
4) Waterpolo is less tiring then swimming but if done longer, I think I would have had a higher chance of getting a heart attack. O_O It's like soccer in the water.
5) Freestyle strokes only (apparently. Don't know why though.)
6) Ball in water. Don't hold it.
7) Stop being lost. Just get the ball.
8) Power up my arms so I can actually score better. Anna and Georgie are scarily good. D:
9) I should improve my coordination. Both individually and as a team.

Reading about Alexei Nikolaevich.
Wikipedia states,
The Tsar's ADC Colonel Mordinov remembered Alexei:
He had what we Russians usually call "a golden heart." He easily felt an attachment to people, he liked them and tried to do his best to help them, especially when it seemed to him that someone was unjustly hurt. His love, like that of his parents, was based mainly on pity. Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich was an awfully lazy, but very capable boy (I think, he was lazy precisely because he was capable), he easily grasped everything, he was thoughtful and keen beyond his years ... Despite his good nature and compassion, he undoubtedly promised to possess a firm and independent character in the future.

He sounds like how my father described me. I caught on things too easily when I was younger.

'I shouldn't try being someone I'm not. Instead, doing my best with my own capabilities. 
Our only obstacle is ourselves and in order to overcome that, overcome the judgement we have of ourselves when comparing to others. 
We all took and will take different paths, deviating and turning for whatever course, purpose or reason.'


Peace out!
-Water Polo noob= Evelyn Wong~Ocean Lover

Comments

Popular Posts