Waterpolo GSV Round 4 Matches


I.B. Journal Entry:
Water Polo GSV Round 4 Matches 
Date: 24th May 2011
Time: 4:50-5:50pm 

PLC A vs. Korowa at 4:15pm
PLC B vs. Loreto B at 4:50pm

I was swimming in PLC B and we lost 17-2. 
We might have lost in scores but we won in worth of experience. 
After an amazing experience playing Waterpolo last Wednesday at Methodist Ladies' College for the very first time, I was excited to play matches at home (PLC Aquatic Centre). I didn't expect much for today since we don't get much training as a team for Waterpolo that I believe is vital for this sport. The amount of team work necessary is incredible especially since there's little opportunity to intervene when the opposing team catches the ball. 

If you grab them or push them down, you might foul and the ball is whistled to be thrown by them towards the direction of our goal. 
If you try grabbing their leg and pulling them down, if their a lot larger and stronger than you, one kick and you're on the way home. Also, you might accidentally scratch them. It can be painful. 

No pain, no gain? Heheh... 

In addition, if the opposing team has the ball and is directly in front of your goal. You're... in a whole lot of trouble. 
If you grab them, the penalty whistle might be blown and they get a free penalty throw (not like it's any worse than having them already position in front of it. To be honest, sometimes a penalty throw might be more beneficial than the usual match goals).
If you jump and try to block, you waste 2 seconds (according to Natalie Dowling) in your descent that gives them more time to channel energy for their score. 

Sigh. Being defence isn't too great at times. If you don't throw it far/hard enough, it might just come flying back in an instant. 

My opponent for the day: #14 & #7?

I'm really glad that I was granted the opportunity to play waterpolo. If I hadn't been invited by Stephanie Kwok and Georgie Hall, I can't imagine how I would have felt since I had desired to join waterpolo at the start of the year.
I just wanted to try something new since my original impressions of waterpolo was that it was a boys' sport. When I say boys' sport I mean a sport that involves extreme violence to the extent that any involvement in the game would cause grave injuries :] I'll be definitely playing waterpolo again next year. This sport makes me happy. I wish it could be on for more seasons. I missed the first two weeks of wonderful experiences after all!

I even got to experience reattaching the lane ropes today after the match. :) It was great. You might think it strange but I actually do like setting up the lanes. The straight alligned lane ropes gives me a feeling of accomplishment. Haha. Cats out of the bag. 

I have to learn to stop thinking I'm inferior just because I'm new at something. 
Everything is a challenge at any point of time towards an individual. It all depends on your method of executing the task and seeing it through it the end. There is no problem in speaking out. We're given voices to speak and to be heard. Born in a world where all are equal. No voice is any more important or relevant than another. Nothing can be truly wrong or truly right. After all, our age makes mistakes too. 

Comments

Popular Posts