Drowning in a world of "I wants" Part 2

Being a high school student, all decisions have begun to pressure myself and people of around the same age group I am in. It used to be so easy, simple and relaxed. Not so much anymore but still is in some ways. :) As a boarder, I live with a variety ("myriad") of people, some opinionated, some not as opinionated and some who have no idea how to voice out their own views.

A thing I regret from my younger years is that I was always too shy. I had no idea how to approach those in older age groups from me; and now looking at the younger ones, I understand the feeling of how high schoolers feel. We enjoy the company of younger children, as long as they don't pester us. Basically, we're not that bad. :)

The thing is... these people have big dreams. Ok. I think most boarders once they read this will understand what I'm getting at. After writing this, I might consider making this blog private since I am actually voicing out my opinions quite clearly through these posts. Then again, maybe not.

For some reason, since the ruckus of VCE (Victorian Certificate of Excellence) and IB (International Bacculeaurate) had been brought up the past few weeks, all I have been listening to has been:
 "Where would you go for University?"
 "I want to go to the best university. I will only apply to Harvard, Yale etc."
 "Why stay here? Might as well go to the U.S. and U.K."

My question is, why bother only signing up for high ranked universities? How is it all worth it when it comes down to it.
Like I've mentioned before, it doesn't matter where you study as long as the environment is suitable, you would be able to succeed. It's all honestly up to you as an individual and the people who are always there to support you. It's not just the name. After all, expensive does not exactly ever gurantee quality.

It's like comparing a F diamond to an IF diamond (you guys might not really understand this).

Just the other day, I had told my room mate bluntly after hearing her constantly talk about how she desperately wanted to go to the top Ivy League universities was,
"Yuen Mei, this is the MOST major problem you have. You don't know where to start low. Everyone has to start from somewhere and employers dislike people who can only start of straight from the top. That is your problem. You are the type of person who can NEVER start from the bottom."

My room mate had returned me a look of confusion; then stating in a much more exaggerated tone, "I can't help it. I was raised that way."

I found this a little bit frustrating.
No one can jump a black hole just to land in paradise flat on two feet. Not doubting anyones talents here when I say this.

To the rest of you as well. Just because you WANT to live in the U.S. doesn't necessarily mean you will go there instantaneously. The idea is all about supporting yourself first before thinking of doing this-then doing that. Things take time to develop.

Even the idea of helping others. It's something embedded in you. Whether it was something you were raised to do or something you just had instilled inside yourself.
What I'm telling most of the fools out there in the world, just because someone shows an act of kindness to another, doesn't mean you can do it just to gain favors.

The sincere thought of helping a person is best. Not when you are certain you can gain something from it.

Evelyn Wong~Ocean Lover

“Something that has always puzzled me all my life is why, when I am in special need of help, the good deed is usually done by somebody on whom I have no claim. –William Feather”

Comments

Popular Posts