18th Birthday Surprise

Hey, guys! 

So I had planned to write this blogpost last night but with a couple of visitors (Chye, Ching Yi, Michelle) into my room and parental Skype distractions here and there, I did not really get around to doing it. Ultimately plopping into bed at 1.30am and waking up only at 11.20am on Sunday morning, which is where I am now. This blogpost is going to be rather long so forgive me for that. I am considering separating this posts into a subsection that links to plcpadthai1012@wordpress.com (my high school group blog that has varying activity levels). 

My dream: -just forgot about it after editing and replying several wishes on Facebook- 

Alright. Considering that this is my personal blog, I will post what happened post-celebrations with Twin and the others from high school here. And post what occurred while I was with them in the plcpadthai blog to keep the others who are living in the U.S.A., U.K. and Sydney respectively, get updated too on the highlights and events of partying with the Lalas and others-- completely different from the 6/7 man custom we used to have when we were still together. PLCPadThai for life! 

2.30pm After a brief lunch on level 2 of the Southern Cross Station and about an hour wondering around the stalls due to my craze hype that tends to occur when I am happy and newly awake, Michelle and I went back to Clayton, Monash. Riding the Platform 12 Pakenham train from Southern Cross Station. Michelle had two bags, and I had two (one being a Typo bag containing presents) and a present box (my requested birthday gifted laminator with no laminating paper - aiyo. the carelessness of these people is hilarious. Haha). On the train, Michelle and I excitedly opened and read the instruction manual of my new friend, storm glass (a crystal percipitate barometer). A gift from my twin, Tsoi, Mel and Jua. Getting off at Oakleigh, it took only 2 minutes of waiting before the bus to arrive. Michelle enlightened me as to how there are 2-3 buses that travel past Monash Uni. at Oakleigh. New discovery! 

Our walk back to Briggs Hall from the bus stop entailed her role as Public Relations officer at MUMSA, which meant interacting with MASCA and any external relations. A role, I think she would do very well because of her incredibly likeable and approachable character. When you get used to Michelle, one knows she does her best and is genuine in her approach to things. Although she does remain highly competitive. Both of us were excited by the idea of being in respective Malaysian Student Associations in University and how much we can gain from the experiences. I vehemently agree that I will never regret joining MUMSU as a 1st year and again as an incoming 2nd year.

Returning back to my room at about 4pm, I had intended to study in the 3 hours left I had before meeting with Ady. Unfortunately, I got distracted with the following: 
4.30-5.00pm      Opening physical presents. I know a majority of my gifts were experiential. I will cherish the care and thought.  
  • laminator :) 
  • barometer storm glass
  • TYPO colorful electrical lamp lights 
5.00pm-6.15pm  Thank you replies to all my greetings on Facebook. 
6.30-6.55pm      Taking a much needed nap
7.00-7.15pm       Doing miscellaneous stuff like washing my dishes, opening my diary, folding wrapping paper. etc. 
7.15pm              Ady calls my phone, informing me she has arrived at Briggs. :D So I rush down. 

Then came the surprise I never expected. 

What I would need to explain first is my personal thoughts for most of the day. Even upon my return to Briggs, my Whatsapp barely flashed. It flashed even less than normal days. 

(Only in relation to Whatsapp groups)
Not even a line of birthday wishes from the OCF cell group, not even a wiggle from the MUMSU DinoBoss group and nothing from the MUMSU Committee 2013/14 group. It left me just a little bit disheartened at how despite being in so-called groups that 'care', something so small like a birthday wasn't even worth a wish. Even my closest overseas high school friends did not say a peek. My twin was feeling a bit down as well. However, only a couple of personal wishes from Clarice, Phoebe, Ady and Jia Hong lightened up my mood a little. 

It more or less reaffirmed my thoughts that one should never expect things, and not expect that everyone you work with truly cares. That is where the difference between actual friendship and superficial friendship truly lies. I know I might be taking it a bit extremely, but my Lebanon experience taught me that. A majority of the time, people only remember you if they need something of you or if you are right in their face. The significant isolation I felt from the little to no replies to my emails from so-called 'friends' when I was in Lebanon strengthened my judgment. There were a few exceptions of course. People who actually cared I mean. I should not express how I feel too much. And if I do, that is when you know I truly feel comfortable in my place. 

As Ady greeted me from the inner doors of Brigg's entrance, it never even crossed my mind that the MUMSU Committee 2013/14 consisting of Marcus Tan, Sam Tan, Kenneth Matthew Ng, Clarice Tan, Phoebe Ng, Tim Ong, Ili Amirah and Jia Hong would be hiding to the right side of the entrance. 

What I saw was a huge shadow mound at the right corner of my eye moving like an alien glob as I was talking to Ady on my left. As she was about to share her unsettling experience of getting lost with a stranger from RMIT, the gigantic glob suddenly moved and semi-circled me at the entrance. 

If my eyesight was worse (not that it's even all that bad. Although my right eye begs to differ nowadays), I might have actually thought I was going to be attacked by an alien horde.

It all happened so quickly that I didn't quite remember who was positioned where. 

From left-to-right: 
Ady - Marcus- Tim (who was moving because he held most of the poppers I think. I found him noticeable because I thought he wore a panda plush cap on his head)- Kenneth- Ili-Clarice- Sam 
(I am not quite sure where Phoebe and Jia Hong were. I think they were moving.) 
Kimberly was absent. 

 :P Instead, I was greeted with a raucous of cheer, colorful celebratory poppers, Ili holding a pail and spraying water on me o__O, and a cake and virtual candles (?) was held by Sam on the right. I knew it could be worse, especially when they started to mention, "Why didn't we bring eggs or flour?" Shivers. My poor clothes and cloth bag. I usually like being properly dressed when subject to an onslaught. 

I know that if I was left to my own devices, I would probably have cried in joy as I did at night when I prayed before going to bed. Such an experience of happiness and care is beyond what I can comprehend in my years of brief friendships. Sigh. I am still a sensitive soul after Lebanon. I would have thought I would have got over that depressing time by now. Since then, I have been experiencing better and better things, the beautiful 18th birthday experience by the MUMSU committee 2013/14 only served to prove that. 

God is truly bringing me more wonderful experiences and things for me to be thankful for. 

What I really wanted to do (which I shared with Ady) was to run back to my room, grab my video camera and record everyone. Haha. My writing and recording instincts taking over. :P But I know the person being celebrated for needs to keep restrained. Oh, I was and still am truly joyful. I really wanted to impress the memory in my mind. Where my friends (whether it be new or a couple I have come over the past year), actually came together just to celebrate... my birthday. From my experience, it would usually take a couple of years before people celebrate together. Unless we are all new people (which I guess we are?). 

If I could have cartwheeled (I can't cartwheel :P), I would have.
If I could have hugged everyone and without the others and my conservative-self being uncomfortable, I would have. 

[I will be posting the pictures taken by Ili and Tim here. My phone hasn't quite been able to load them yet. Sigh when you're a partial phone dinosaur.] 


Message to the incoming MUMSU Committee 2013/14, 

Dear guys, 
I never expected this incredible surprise today-- for each and everyone of you to have taken a time out of your busy day to bother to come for even just a brief 20 minutes, to celebrate my 18th birthday is something I will never forget. I am so thankful to everyone for expressing the amount of care you have, even if I am already aware that you are all very loving people. I guess to experience the act is always different than just replaying the thought in your minds. It was truly a surprise and I am incredibly happy to be able to work with all of you. (hOhOhO. wHo's nExT? Clarice ;) ) 

Special Thank Yous':
  • Thank you to Ady who I heard organized the event. And even later on, to have spent on me Japanese Unagi Chachan, introducing me to the amazing tofu there, where we even got special looking water glasses (lucky us!). :) I am happy we get to hang out. 
  • Thank you to Phoebe who I heard provided insight about my birthday plans, brought the knife in the scariest manner ever. 
  • Thank you to Jia Hong who saved me from becoming a human cake, bringing your Subang store of tissues. I can help with the tissues next time too. I just need to find them first... Lol. I think we really should invest the eggs into making a giant omelette instead. 
  • Thank you to Ili who, um, kept trying to cleanse me with salt water and wiping it all over my head and jacket. Also for coming up with the creative idea of virtual candles. :O I think I am sufficiently cleansed. The salt water tasted good too. I like salt water. Reminds me of the Dead Sea and beach. Let's all go hunt for sea shells and make a photo frame. 
  • Thank you to Sam who held the cake and virtual candles, despite the weight. :) You smiled! 
  • Thank you Kenneth for, uh, sarcastic remarks? Haha. In addition, thanks for helping prevent Ady and I from getting lost getting to Glen. And being one of the AF's. 
  • Thank you to Clarice for letting me use your shoulders like a rocking chair and being one of the first to greet me on the day. 
  • Thank you Marcus for being a face for a personal Abercrombie Finch parade (is that what it's called? It's a clothing brand, right?) 
  • Thank you Tim for recording everything and being the cool and humorous person you are. Also, for forgiving me for thinking you were a panda, instead of a skeleton. 
<3 all="" div="" nbsp="" of="" to="" you.="">

I would love to just keep writing but I have already spent almost an hour writing this blog post, got to dash and study my BusLaw! Ciaosuuu! 

Love, 
Evelyn Wong 

P.S. Dear WWW, if you ever lose his blogpost, I am coming after you and hacking you up. 










Comments

Popular Posts