MUMSU AGM 2013, 5th September 2013

Instead of spamming my shared blog that I founded with my closest friends from high school at Presbyterian Ladies' College (PLC), which I must entirely recommend for people interested in reading about teenage girls experiencing the transition of first year in university in different places and countries. http://plcpadthai1012.wordpress.com/

I decided to transfer what I was preparing over there to here, so I can atleast update my own blog on occasion.

AGM to elect MUMSU Committee 2013/2014

MUMSU Committee 2013/2014. I am the 3rd from the left. The only individual wearing white shoes.
Hey, everyone! It is Evelyn here and I am happy to say that I actually remembered to post today. :) Alright, I must confess the only reason why I am doing so is also because my parents would like particular details about how my AGM went, inclusive of my success in acquiring the position of Treasurer in the new MUMSU 2013/2014 committee. 
As much as I wish that the committee remained the way it was, the world is constantly changing and people with it. Before I continue, I must give credit to the 2012/2013 committee who have been an inspiration and good seniors to follow.
Clarence Hii, Kar Mun Tham, Kimberly Ou, Michael Cheng, Keith Choong, Guan Shan, Natassha Choong; Kee Kiat, Marcus Tan, Sam Tan, Christabel Teo, Michelle Lam, and Cynthia Lim. & especially, the President Natalie Wong and Vice-President Jaykerr Cheong. 
I must confess that I have gotten to know the girl members a lot better than I know the guys. o_O I have an odd suspicion I am gender biased. lOl. This is made distinct by how, although Jaykerr was the one who introduced me to the whole idea and concept of MUMSU, particularly being in the committee, I feel a lot more comfortable around Natalie. :D I like her a lot! I like everyone a lot! I just have no idea how to express it properly. 
(Sorry guys. I know you have no idea what I am talking about. Feel free to skip this whole post -- eventhough I have forced you to read this far.) I just wish I recorded the whole event. 
Speech preparation 
 I cannot tell you how long it took for me to write my speech. A few hours in fact, similar to when I was preparing my 1st year representative speech earlier this year. I was probably the only one, both times, who attended with a speech on hand.
I was eager to get it over with, so skipped forward once I was nominated and almost started pacing while waiting to see if there were any other nominations. I was ready to glare any competitor down. Haha. The position for Treasurer ended up being the first uncontested position. Followed by Editor and Information Officer. Activities Officer stole all the love. <3 nbsp="" span="" style="font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; line-height: 115%;">It had 5 people competing for it.

My speech
The benefits of preparing beforehand is what people told me last night. 
"Wow! You spoke so clearly. You went like, 'Bang-bang-bang'." I understood that as being straight to the point, relevant and confident. -- President I think. 
"Your speech was very good." -- a couple. 
"You spoke very well earlier. Congratulations on getting the position." -- a MASCA person told me that! 
Having no competitors off-loaded the pressure I had on my shoulders. It made me happy and even more confident with the direction of my speech. When I started speaking, I did it exactly as I had been practising the past hour before the AGM, "Hello, everyone. I hope everyone has been having a good evening and have had a good day despite the rain today. My name is Evelyn Wong and I am a first year undergraduate student in my second semester, studying the Bachelor of Commerce here at Monash University." I said all this as clear, loud, and confidently as I could, never taking my eyes off the audience. I did not follow my speech again (to my chagrin). 

What I found great was that I managed to make people laugh in my speech. Making people laugh at some points during it is important for me, both as a speaker and a mild comedian (according to the words of Mr. Peterson from PLC). To convince people of my suitability for the role, I mentioned how I was thrifty. Not stingy. People in the hall shared laughter the moment I said that. I am glad to know I am not alone on that one. Being thrifty is so not stingy. I saw Natalie stifling a smile, Jaykerr clenching his stomach and covering his face in fits of laughter and one MASCA guy who was giving a very approving look. YES! 1st year OWNS it. Lol. 

Since the President nominations took a majority of our AGM time, Clarence told me to speed up my speech. At that time, all I remember thinking was, "Oh shit. I do not have enough time to say everything I want to say". I think I said this out loud because right after I thought it, everyone else in the hall laughed. 

I was so proud and thankful when the President complimented my speech. It made me feel like curling into a happy ball and rolling around everywhere. o_O In all honesty, the side affects of being so happy is that I then started imagining having a Jigglypuff following me around everywhere. 
For those who do not know what a jigglypuff is, it is this: 
Image
I never imagined having a jigglypuff before so this was a first.
Natalie informed me that my speech was the best out of all the speeches. I doubt it could have beaten the President speeches but I am confident and proud to know it made her convinced that I have potential to be future president. It makes me happy but I am aware I have to prioritize my studies. I love MUMSU to bits but there needs to be balance. I wish I could have gotten more feedback on how I went. Too many people redirecting conversations. Kar Mun gave me good feedback as well. 
My sense of value and dedication to a role is is very different compared to what other peoples' are. I have noticed this. I put all my heart and effort into a role and I do not believe in making excuses otherwise. This sort of commitment is what frustrates me sometimes when I see people who claim they are not lacking. Desperation does not get anyone anywhere. Genuine effort does. However, I am not denying the fact that some people are innately gifted. 
Thank goodness my mood yesterday was good, or else it would have blown it. 
I think one thing that made me upset last night was my fairly close friend Hannah Ngu did not get in, despite the support from Tim, Ju-Wei, Chernyse and myself who were present to vote her in as Activities Officer. I think what Hannah told me Tim's said proved true in her situation. Tim said to bring supporters and friends increases chances of getting in by a long shot. However, I am certain the speech does wonders as well. Maybe it is me being idealistic but I believe there are some people out there who vote for others based off merits. 
I am just so happy in the current moment. :) I have faith in God and believe in myself. 
I am so thankful my parents and brother have taught me so much in my life. I love having the values I have and would not change it for anything else in the world. 

MUMSU Committee 2012/2013 Photos (the few that we have anyway) 


Cheers, everyone!
Evelyn Wong :) 

Comments

crinklyd said…
So happy for you Ewol!! <3 You're gonna do an amazing job I know it! And enjoy the experience don't stress it!

Popular Posts