The stupidity of Santiago Nasar


I finally just read Chronicles of a Death Foretold, carefully and meticulously- page by page.
O_O Everything is so clear in my mind now that I have to go, what in the world are we learning in class?! It's so clear that it was fatalistic that Santiago Nasar HAD to get stabbed to death on his own door just because his dumb ass mother slammed the door just seconds before he would have reached it. Another idiotic set of circumstances is that he just HAD to be so CONFUSED to run straight towards the exact location they were clearly going to get him at. =_="
"They've killed me, wene child." NO DUH. D: Sorry, had to share the rant.

[posted on Yvonne's wall]

The following is the review I wrote on Goodreads.com.
Yeah, it's the first time sharing my account with y'all but hopefully, you drop by sometime and leave a comment here and there. It's much appreciated. :)


Chronicle of a Death ForetoldChronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



A fast paced book concerning the death of a 21 year old Arab-Colombian, Santiago Nasar. Faced with an evident fatalistic encounter with two twin brothers' of a girl he is accused to have shamed, Chronicles of a Death Foretold is a journalistic account of the events that had led to the tragedy.


Whether merely an unfortunate set of circumstances or a parallel story to the stigma of Jesus Christ's death, Santiago Nasar was doomed to die as there had been no death ever so foretold.


I might have started off reluctantly reading the book as experience with previous school-assigned books, had resulted in my expectation of a seemingly-drugged and slow-paced plotline. Besides, I hardly think it's just me who dislikes having to over analyze pieces of texts that we are fully aware would be part of our passing grade. Nevertheless, nothing would have prepared me for the delight I experience from reading this novel.


Looking at it's thickness, Chronicles of a Death Foretold was bound to be a fast-paced novel. It's a text filled with so many lightly-conflicting accounts that it blurs the line between the actuality of the course of events. Chronicles of a Death Foretold, in fact, parallels reality where over time, accounts of events fade; thereby, reducing the accuracy of claims. ^^ So much like history. Nothing can be certain.


I've actually just finished reading Chronicles of a Death Foretold for the 3rd time. This time, meticulously and carefully reading it for my World Literature 1 essay, only to absolutely gag at the ending. That is one horrible way to die; and unfortunate due to the circumstances. What I honestly don't understand though is why did Santiago Nasar run towards his home when clearly the Vicario brothers' were going to stop him there?

o_o My conclusion is that it had probably been his state of confusion.

Fatality is indeed invisible (as quoted in the novel). Sad and pitiful. A true tragedy.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts