Bacpoint rantings of the OSOP Program 2012


(Referring to my handwritten Diary entry to write this) 
Part 1 of Ranting :D 

It was more verbal planning for this years' Orientation. We had no reference or timetable booklets. Nothing. Na-dah! 
The teachers a week later could only confirm as such with three of us helpers (includes me) on how they are lacking the motivation of continuing to hold this Overseas Orientation Program anymore. The 'new breed' of girls' can handle themselves they say. Although, I find it rather harsh, you can tell by just talking to the girls' that many of them are more than prepared for the challenges ahead as overseas students at PLC. They speak with confidence; sometimes even making me, a person who is part of the Orientation for my 3rd year now, feel almost stupid. I think I'm just being paranoid. 

I'm truly thankful that I had Winnie's company this year. No Yvonne anymore. I could not help but think of her the whole time throughout the Orientation. So many memories with her. One of the great things about the friendship that Yvonne and I have is that, as much as I thought of her during Orientation, I could imagine her lightly patting my head telling me not to be so stupid and get on with being an 'Evelyn'- as she likes to put it. 

Being my habits during Orientation, I sob a little then write a whole long diary entry- reciting a story in my head when I sleep at night. I can't say much about the girls' though I know I like every one of them. Each so different. Being 1/3 Year 12 helpers and the only one who has done this whole Orientation thing before, I pretty much lead. 

o_o I even helped Ms Taylor lead everyone to the Bowling Ring at Crown Plaza. 
I guess I enjoyed the responsibility though it did make me feel at loss when I was assigned to take charge of taking care of 4 way too overly independent Year 7s' & 8's. O_O They all have a  mind of their own I tell you! I never would have imagined a Year 7s' walking off together, buying Lunch by themselves. My goodness! 

One of the toughest bits of the Orientation overall had to be the parents on the night of the dinner. 
Interactions were extremely low... =_=" I just had to sit at the Chinese speaking table man with the new teacher sitting beside me. I admit I was a tiny bit upset that I wasn't seated beside Mrs Hall (she was absent the night). If she had been there, it could have been the 3rd year in a row! :D 

Transportation was a bit tacky when it came to this Years' Orientation. 
We took... the TRAM. =.=" 100 or so girls' filling the tram all the way from Burwood to the city and back. What a tiresome way to travel. Winnie and I missed the bus of fonder years. 

Part 2 of OSOP Ranting

Teachers' are humans too is one of the points I have to make about Orientation Program experiences. 
When they're not prepared much, they are as lost and confused as Orientation Helpers. This was how it was for this year's Orientation which was what made it somewhat tiring for me. It was thrilling though, don't get me wrong. 
I loved all huddling in the Year 12 common room screaming over who we wanted to win for the Australian Open 2012 finals: Nadal or Djokovic. 
I loved staying past 'bed time' with Winnie, thanks to Mrs Mac who wanted to share her passion for tennis with our own. :D 
The Orientation Program never ceases to remind me all the good things that can happen in a year. :) 

For most of the 'City Excursion' we had, I was the student photographer. 
I loved running around on the job with the I.D. Departments Nikon DX. ;D So many girls' were wary of my camera though. Deliberately dodging, teasing, laughing- the expected. 

As compared to last year, the girls' this year were definitely all more self-confident; forming little groups independently (not like last year when I coerced them all into making friends with each other rather than sticking like glue to their guardians/parents). It made me wonder what I was like. I mostly remember Shubhi, who overwhelmed me with... what do I call it? Charisma? Neh, character would suit it better. She is by the far one of the most unique people I have ever met. 

I'll stop ranting now.

Note: 

I pity Mr Francis for having to read all of this. :P 
Don't you love physical diaries? :3 

Comments

Popular Posts